Engineer - Electrical System Architecture
To accelerate innovation by democratizing and decentralizing the way ideas are shared and products are manufactured. We invite the world to help us create vehicles that inspire, empower and nurture humanity.
Drive community engagement above all else. Ensure open dialogue and transparency with community members in order to facilitate innovation and empower the individual maker.
Engage and empower global communities of designers, engineers, fabricators and automotive enthusiasts to solve local problems, locally, through distributed making.
Foster open collaboration in order to drive faster, more cost-effective, more thorough product development to drive improved safety and quality.
Make transportation more sustainable globally by empowering maker profitability, defending and advancing the environment, and improving safety and well-being.
Strive to succeed in the face of failure; meet deadlines regardless of obstacles; exceed expectations in the design, development and distribution of critical tools, services and finished products.
- The role of the Engineer - Electrical System Architecture is to create the Design & Engineering of the vehicle electrical system architecture, according to program timing and budget.
- This includes working with team members and third-party contractors or consultants in order to deliver proper solutions according to plan.
- The candidate will also follow process for quality control throughout the product development life cycle.
- A pleasant demeanor, coupled with strong telephone, internet, face-to-face and written communication skills are a must. Follow up communications and strong organizational skills are essential.
- The position requires an ability to travel internationally.
- You will be requested to manage multiple projects, resources and deadlines and provide updates to the team.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Validates new designs and tests the related systems and subsystems.
- Maintains current knowledge of system offerings and emerging design technologies in the energy storage and charging, transit and heavy duty vehicle industry.
- Ability to support engineers in trade-off studies and provide alternative solutions for cross-functional program team consideration
- Support all vehicle development departments to ensure compliance with regulations.
- Follow project scope and deliverables to support program goals in collaboration with engineering and program management.
- Work towards realistic project milestones and deliverables using appropriate tools.
- Perform data analysis and establish proper corrective actions as required
- Track and report project status to Chief Engineer, as well as program team.
- Proactively manage changes in project scope, searching for solutions quickly and effectively to ensure success.
- Follow established product development processes, leading the development of new processes for company adoption where required.
- Develop best practices and tools for project execution and management.
- Cooperate and coordinate development with other vehicle development team members to ensure overall goals are achieved.
- Perform additional projects and duties as assigned by the Chief Engineer.
- Provide technical support to Local Motors manufacturing facilities through plant visits, conference calls, etc.
- Must be able to work in a team environment as well as independently.
- Ability to relocate in needed.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, or a related technical field. Master's degree preferred.
- 5 - 7 years minimum related experience in the automotive industry with management experience a plus.
- 4 years or more experience focused on automotive electrical system architecture design and development.
- Experience with: Battery Charging System Design, High Voltage Energy storage systems, High voltage fast battery charging systems, Vehicle Battery Management System Design, High voltage electrical safety and work standards, OSHA, Electric Vehicle System Design
- Experience with communication protocols, e.g.: CAN, LIN, UART, SPI, I2C, UDS, XCP, Vector Canalyzer, CANAPE
- Experience with FREE RTOS, AUTOSAR, others.
- Vehicle, Diagnostic Control System Design
- Sensors and data acquisition systems
- Knowledge and experience with UDS diagnostic services and functional diagnostics development for products, exposure to ISO26262, MISRA.
- Experience with MATLAB, Simulink and vehicle powertrain simulation.
- Experience with writing bootloaders
- Experience with software maturity models, such as Automotive SPICE, System Weaver.
- Experience with design for functional safety desired.
- Experience with Design Failure Mode & Effects Analysis (DFMEA)
- Experience with Design Verification Plan & Report (DVP&R)
- Experience with various manufacturing processes: plastic injection molding, metal stamping & casting, and various soft-trim hand-worked processes.
- Experience with the following: vehicle electrical system troubleshooting, electrical test equipment/tools, automotive industry codes/standards such as SAE, NEC, NFPA, FMVSS, DOT, NHTSA, harness/schematic design and drawing tools to perform load analysis, power distribution and circuit protection analysis, and charging systems.
- Familiarity with various CAE methods and results interpretation.
- Experience with full product life cycles, from prototype to production.
- Experience using Siemens NX design software in a fast paced, multi-user production environment preferred.
- Bilingual skills are a plus. German speaking fluency is ideal.
- Computer skills: In addition to the requirements above, the candidate must have experience with MS Office, including intermediate to advanced knowledge of Word and Excel, Outlook, and other Office suite tools.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
The Company is committed to equal employment opportunity. We do not discriminate based on an individual’s race, religion, creed, color, sex (including gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, or sexual orientation), age, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. Our policy is to select, place, train, and promote the most qualified individuals based upon relevant factors such as work performance and quality, attitude, and experience so as to provide equal employment opportunity for all our employees in compliance with applicable local, state, and federal laws. This policy applies to all phases of the employment process including recruiting, hiring, training, promotion or demotion, discipline, transfer, layoff, and termination. It also covers any type of employment action, including those relating to salary, benefits, training, travel, and participation in sponsored business and social events.
Job Status: Full Time